Looking for an inexpensive way to experiment in blending your own unique fragrance oils or creating a signature scent ? Let’s face it, experimenting and trying to come up with unique and exciting fragrances without breaking the bank can be a challenge. Here’s a great way to mix your own blends affordably.
Supplies you will need:
Plastic Zip-loc Type Baggies
Let’s create a Piña Colada blend as an example. Piña Colada combines pineapple and coconut.
1. Dip both ends of a q-tip in the pineapple fragrance oil and then drop the q-tip into the zip-loc bag.
2. Dip both ends of a q-tip in the coconut fragrance oil and then drop this into the same zip-loc baggie and seal.
3. Wait a little while (15-30 minutes is sufficient) for the scents to co-mingle. At this point you have used equal amounts of each fragrance.
4. When you open the bag, decide if you like the blend or if it needs a little more of one of the fragrances. If it needs a little more pineapple for example, dip the ends of another q-tip into the pineapple fragrance oil and seal in the bag with the original q-tips.
At this point, your ratio is 2:1 (twice the amount of pineapple as coconut). This will translate into larger quantities once you have perfected your blend. If you now like the blend, you will know that you need twice as much pineapple as coconut. So if you are making/blending three ounces of fragrance oil for example, you would use 2 oz. of pineapple and 1 oz of coconut.
1) Have a note book handy to record the formulas that you plan on using in the future.
2) Sniff some coffee beans to clear your scent receptors in between experiments to truly gain a more accurate reading on the scents.
Fragrance Blending Ideas
These combinations were created and contributed by our fabulous customers. All of the fragrances for these blends (and more) can be found on our website).
After The Storm- Rainstorm, Balsam and Fresh Cut Grass
Almond Joy- Hot Fudge Brownie (or Chocolate Kisses), Coconut Cream Pie, Almond
Angelic- Plumeria and French Vanilla
Autumn Bliss- Dreamsicle and Clove
Autumn Harvest- Pumpkin Spice and Macintosh Apple
Babys Breath- Vanilla and Jasmine
Bamboo Lotus Blossom- Bamboo and Lotus Blossom
Basil Lime- Zesty Lime and Basil Herb
Biscotti- Sugar Cookie, Almond and Chocolate Kisses
Cajun Cream- Butterscotch Brulee and French Vanilla
Candy Cane- Peppermint and Strawberry Shortcake
Caramello- Caramel and Marshmallow
Cherry Colada- Cherry and Coconut
Cherry Fairy- Cherry Pie and Clean Cotton
Chocolate Covered Banana- Banana and Chocolate Kisses (Or Hot Fudge Brownie)
Chocolate Swirl- Chocolate Kisses and French Vanilla
City Of Lights- Lavender and Cinnamon Sticks
Clarity- Eucalyptus, Lemongrass, Sage leaf and Peppermint
Cranberry Bread- Cranberry and Fresh Baked Bread
Dewberry- Mulberry and Honeydew
Dusty Rose- Fresh Cut Roses and Baby Powder
French Vanilla Coffee- Coffee Bean and French Vanilla
Herbal Delite: Gardenia and Patchouli
Honeysuckle Peach- Honeysuckle and Peach
Honeysuckle Pear- Honeysuckle and Juicy Pear
Hummingbird Cake- Coconut and Pineapple
Innocence- Plumeria and Vanilla
Island Girl- Plumeria and Baby Powder
Lavender Cucumber Sage- Lavender, Fresh Cucumber and Sage Leaf
Lemongrass Sage- Sage and Lemon Grass
Lotus Vetiver- Lotus Blossom, Bergamot and Vetiver (Contributor used .5oz Lotus Blossom with .25oz Bergamot and .25oz Vetiver)
Much Needed Vacation- Plumeria and Aloha Pineapple
Mystic Raspberry- Fresh Raspberry and Lavender
October Harvest- Apple Jack Peel and Pumpkin Spice
Overlook Hotel- Sugared Spruce and After Dinner Buttermints
Peach Pie- Peach and Fresh Baked Pie Crust
Polka Dot- Golden Spongecake and Dott Type
Pumpkin Cupcake- Pumpkin Pie and Birthday Cake
Romantic Embrace- Orange Blossoms and Patchouli
Snowflakes- Sugar cookies and Candy Cane
Southern Breeze- Honeysuckle, Magnolia and Lemon
Summer Breezes- Vanilla, Lavender and Rainstorm
Tropical Vacation- Pineapple, Coconut Cream Pie and Mango Papaya
Watermelon Lemonade- Watermelon and Lemon
Vaniglia Liquirizia- Black Licorice and Madagascar Vanilla
Vanilla Honeysuckle- Honeysuckle and Vanilla